Club spending on International Transfer Fees Reaches All-Time Record in 2023

USD 9.63 billion spent on international transfer fees, an increase of 48.1% compared to 2022, according to Global Transfer Report

Transfer fees.

FIFA has today published the 2023 edition of the Global Transfer Report, according to which an all-time record of 74,836 cross-border transfers were made in 2023. Some 23,689 (31.7%) of these moves involved professionals (men and women), with the other 51,147 (68.3%) transfers being those of amateurs.

Following falls in spending in both 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, clubs spent a new record high amount on international transfer fees in 2023, with their combined outlay reaching a total of USD 9.63 billion – an increase of 48.1% compared to 2022 and surpassing the former record, set in 2019, by more than USD 2 billion.

EPL transfer fees.

The top ten player transfers alone generated more than 10% of the entire amount spent on transfer fees in 2023. Similarly, of the 3,279 transfers that included fees, the top 100 were responsible for more than 45% of all money spent on transfer fees, with English clubs once again topping the list with USD 2.96 billion.

German clubs topped the list for transfer fees received from outgoing transfers with a total of more than USD 1.2 billion. Just as in the previous year, Portuguese clubs completed more incoming transfers than clubs from any other association (1,017).

Brazilian clubs, on the other hand, released the highest number of players (1,217).

A total of 1,024 clubs spent money on international transfers in 2023, the first-ever time that more than 1,000 clubs invested in transfer fees for new players from abroad.

The number of clubs that received transfer fees, 1,241, was also another new high.

Impressive growth of women's football continues

The impressive growth of women's professional football also showed no sign of letting up in 2023, with more than 20% more transfers last year compared to 2022. The number of clubs involved in international transfers also rose from 507 in 2022 to 623 in 2023, a 22.9% increase.

WPL transfers.

All of these numbers reflect the huge strides being taken in the women's game, with more and more female players turning professional. Some 1,888 international transfers of professional players were recorded in 2023, while a new high of 131 associations (+7.4% compared to 2022) were involved in these transfers.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post